Medical Marijuana Forums

Posted 6/2/2014
Default-pic-fp-3ac3198fb25a232bc3a992f6d6923c8c
  • Reviews: 0
  • Followers: 0
  • Following: 0

I had my right leg amputated above the knee just over a month ago in a motorcycle accident and have been prescribed a few pain medications (Morphine, Oxycodone and Neurontin) but want to transition to cannabis as much as possible. I have no history with the drug.

How do I find a doctor that can make specific recommendations (like prescriptions) for cannabis and direct me on how to reduce my dosages of pain medication?

The pain medication is prescribed through Kaiser so that physician has no knowledge of cannabis. The independent doctor I got my cannabis card with would only make general directions (look for high CBD and keep a chart of pain medication needed), and dispensary salesmen aren't really qualified to comment on pain medication.

Is this just a hole in the system where individual trial and error attempts are the only option? I know that cannabis can't hurt me, but I still want a physician to look at my exact needs and tell me what to do and take.

Posted 6/2/2014
  • Followers: 4

The industry is not even close to being at the point where "real" doctors are going to recommend cannabis in the way you are looking for them to do.

For one thing, doctors make money every time they prescribe the drugs you mentioned so you've got that going against you. Think of them as Big Pharma drug salesmen because that's what they are.

The other thing is marijuana is still classified as a schedule 1 drug and because of that ............... no clinical research can even begin to take place ............. and as long as this remains the case no doctor is ever going to jump on board and begin recommending it.

Forget about dispensaries for any advice. They are in business to sell to the 99% of their "patients" that are just using a loop-hole to get high "legally".

Posted 6/3/2014

u can online consult ayurvedic doctor for ur help..
visit
http://www.ayurvedaconsultants.com/

Posted 6/7/2014
Thumb-1404077566
  • Reviews: 12

I have to disagree with HeMan somewhat. There are good dispensaries that will do their best to give you the basics on the best way to integrate cannabis into your pain treatment regimen. In my area, The Apothecarium and SPARC are two dispensaries that do a pretty good job with patient education SPARC in particular has a very nice selection of high CBD cannabis most of the time. . I'd also advise reading a few books: The Pot Book by Dr. Julie Holland and Marijuana Medical Handbook by Ed Rosenthal & Dale Gieringer

I think that you will need to be your own advocate in regards to the prescription pain meds. One thing I can tell you right off the bad is that Neurontin is prescribed to turn down the intensity & frequency of pain signals traveling along the nerves from the site of the injury to your brain. In my experience opioid medication make me care less about the pain I'm in along with alleviating the pain itself which can be good enough in short term but makes for a pretty miserable experience long term.

High CBD strains are a Godsend, but different strains work differently for different people. Cannatonic, for example, does nothing for me but Jamaican Lion, Lion Fire and Bio Lemon-aid are amazing. Bio Lemon-Aid has 1% THC but is far more sedating than Jamaican Lion which has 9% THC; the former has more Indica qualities than the latter, which has a strong sativa component. From what I remember you want your CBD to THC ratio to be at least 1:1 or 2:1 if at all possible.

Post Removed
Posted 6/30/2014
Male-avatar-58-fp-3ac3198fb25a232bc3a992f6d6923c8c This post has been removed by the moderator.