Medical Marijuana Forums

Posted 2/6/2013
Default-pic-fp-3ac3198fb25a232bc3a992f6d6923c8c
  • Reviews: 0
  • Followers: 0
  • Following: 0

I'm looking for some advice on making concentrates from kief product. I have access to large amounts of it (ounces) and would like anyone with experience making BHO, wax/oil or any other concentrate to chime in with advice/experience.

I've never made any concentrates before, but I have used them many times and have read/heard quite a large amount about creating my own, however, there are few details about using kief, the best agent to break it down with, the yields you will receive, etc. I am steering towards alcohol over butane for general health reasons for myself and customers!

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

Posted 2/10/2013
Thumb-1316367985
  • Followers: 44

Always blast indoors near open flame or sparks, it purges instantly.

Posted 5/20/2013

aedub
Hello I hope this helps he explains everything
the main reason I want u to know is everhone makes oils with glass tubes and I they dont extract all thc.
The glass is easy to break and dont want that with all your flower inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bA53KiQ73M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted 5/22/2013
Thumb-1316367985

That is a horrible video to show how to make concentrates.

"Now all the butane is almost out", except it was still full of it.

I see he blasts indoors, where is the open flame?

Posted 5/23/2013

@DubC

Thank you for pointing this out. You are correct, purging indoors is not advised. However, I choose to do so when it is only two cans of butane and my windows are open. I will put an advisory in the description of my video. Also note I pushed out most of the butane with room temperature water. I also advise at the end of my video whenever purging flammables to not use a combustive heat source.

As far as the butane being mostly gone, when we talk about gross percentage of what was in the cans vs what was in my jar it was in the <5% range. I never consider a hydrocarbon extract complete without another dissolving via ethanol, everclear, typically. Butane is soluble in ethanol as are the essential oils. The ethanol will break the molecular bonds between the two with enough time and multiple solutions. Making the purging of hydrocarbons, including the common impurity benzene, more complete with each time.

-JY

Posted 5/24/2013

@aedub

If you are using kief to make concentrates then you inevitably have quite a few plant particles that are smaller than the typical filters used in producing butane extracts. Kief is already screened once, that's how it became kief. At the end of the process, even with alcohol produced extracts you will want to source some syringes and syringe filters with luer lock ends, ptfe disk or glass fiber preferred. Larger syringes make it less annoying, larger filter disks will clog slower. Be careful, a lot of plastics are not compatible with ethanol.

If you go the butane route and are concerned about safety I would redissolve the oils with ethanol after the extraction, the non soluble fats and waxes will precipitate from the solution. Leave the mixture in the freezer overnight at least. Pour the mixture through a pre-screen like stainless steel mesh over a cup or tube to grab some of the wax bulk. Then soak up the mixture with a syringe and force through the syringe filters into your purging dish. Purge with light heat, under vacuum, or both.

For alcohol extracts, very cold alcohol, rinses <90 seconds. Many recommend much shorter rinses than this. However, with the cold alcohol behaving less polar and my desire to not waste the goodies I would shake about that long. I gave up on alcohol as a sole extractor awhile ago so I don't have much to add other than that.

Posted 5/24/2013

To make sure I thoroughly answer your questions on health concern. The alcohol is beneficial after butane because butane dissolves non polar compounds like fats and waxes and alcohol does not. When you redissolve with alcohol those non polar items precipitate out and can be filtered mechanically with coffee filters, screens, syringes filters, etc. Also the alcohol breaks the bonds between the hydrocarbons(butane,hexane,benzene) and the essential oils to some percentage with time and amount of ethanol added being factors. This allows more complete purging of those compounds. Meaning less wax, and less pollutants in your product. There is still no one hundred percent way to purge a solvent from its solutes.

Posted 5/24/2013
Thumb-1316367985

Nobody reads or listens, they just do what they see. Monkey see, monkey do.

Have you seen the explosion caused from "a few cans"? Having your window open doesn't mean it's safe! Do you know what happens with butane in gas form? It's heavier than air meaning it sinks to the floor, it doesn't fly out your window. How will it make you feel knowing some kid blew himself up trying your method? What if he does your method(indoors) and tries to cut corners using his stove?

You may be a genius, but the kid looking for directions on YouTube probably isn't, that's why he's looking on YouTube.

Posted 5/25/2013

If you believe this, "Monkey see, monkey do", then to someone asking for help why would you give a sarcastic reply like blast indoor near flame or sparks? What if that was taken literally, and how would you feel if some poor kid actually took your advice and blew himself up?

Obviously people do read, as you are right now, and as the individual who started this thread does.

Certainly, if you would like to start a protest on my video you may. Otherwise, how about trying to help someone on a thread instead of flaming.

Posted 5/25/2013
Thumb-1316367985

Post your video in any extract group and you will be greeted with the same welcome.

NEVER BLAST INDOORS!!!!!!

Go spray one can in to a Pyrex and run a model rocket igniter from it. After you set off one can let me know how often you blast indoors. Your windows won't help, nor will your fans. There is never any reason to blast indoors, period.

Posted 5/25/2013

And........Ignored.

Only intelligent discussion will be responded to.

Posted 5/26/2013
  • Followers: 4

Just ignore him ...........he's just some skateboarder punk that thinks he knows it all because he runs around the Bay Area all day trying to pitch all that Omicron crap.

Posted 5/26/2013
  • Followers: 4

That he had nothing to do with design wise by the way ...........he's just Gary's stock boy.

Posted 12/30/2013
  • Followers: 3

if it is put keif, put in ever clear. put 10x the quantity of everclear to keif and put it in a sepratory funnel. shake the hell out of it and throw the concoction in the freezer for at least 10 days. all the bad stuff will float to the bottom and the alcohol will retain the thc goodness.

drain the dark shit that is at the bottom of the funnel out.

next: i like to use oil slick pads in casserole dishes for my winterized extract as the extracts don't stick to the silicone like they do to parchment paper or glass; much less waste and way easier to work with. I also high heat (200 degrees) vacuum purge my slick pads and containers.

next is to evaporate the alcohol: put your casserole dishes in a box that you have mostly sealed from light. put a fan at one end of it and have an air filter attached to the output end of the fan. It takes about 2 days to evaporate all the alcohol. then take your absolute and put it in your vacuum over at 80% and purge for no longer than 2.5 minutes at 29.5.

you will have rock candy.

Posted 12/30/2013

*put your vacuum oven at 80 degrees for no longer than 2.5 minutes at 29.5hg.

Posted 12/30/2013

pure keif= no need for butane.

Post Removed
Posted 1/1/2014
Male-avatar-58-fp-3ac3198fb25a232bc3a992f6d6923c8c This post has been removed by the moderator.